A Few Things I Have Learned About Becoming a Grandparent
Congratulations on becoming a grandparent! There is nothing more fulfilling, in my opinion.
I have said before how they brighten any day – how they can distract you from the ups and downs of life. It is so true. And grandchildren are all yours to love, play with, share your wisdom with, and more. However, when you are becoming a grandparent for the first time, there are a few things you may want to keep in mind.
I’ll keep this post short and sweet, as I know you have some serious shopping to do for that new grandbaby!
“Sometimes the littlest things take up the room in your heart.” – Winnie the Pooh.
So many emotions go with becoming a grandparent. First, you want to be the best grand ever, and then you want to provide them with everything. Then you’ll start dreaming of what they will be one day… and the thought patterns go on and on. In fact, you never really stop thinking about them, whether you see them every day or not as much as you want.
I often forget about myself in my endless thoughts and planning for my grandchildren. They really are so much cuter than I am. So, it stands to reason that I would rather think of them. But there are things I wish I had known before to be a bit more prepared.
For what it is worth, here are some of the lessons I have learned about becoming a grandparent.
- Being a grandparent is thought-provoking. – When you have that grandbaby, it will make you think about how you raised your own children. Thoughts about things you might have done differently, memories of the successes, and more all flood your mind – until you see that baby. Then you can think of nothing other than that face.
- Your children will finally come to you for advice and may even take it. – Baby has the sniffles; you will get a call. The child is having a fit, and you may get a call. You get what I mean here. Suddenly, you are a wealth of knowledge, and you will be more than happy to share it.
- Your kids’ rules are your rules. – Likely, your kids will decide on how they want to raise the child, whether it is the way you did things or not. So, hold on tight. Don’t take offense. And do as they say with their child.
- Times, they have a-changed. – Yes, they have, and they will continue to change. When the doctor said to place the baby on their sides when sleeping, that will change to on their backs. When to begin food, pacifier or no pacifier, spank or time out… the science of parenting is ever-evolving. Go with the flow and don’t’ stress it.
- You do not have to say yes, every time they ask. Grandparents are not expected to sit by the phone waiting for a call. And we are not to be the only sitters either! – This is a hard one, but you have a life now too.
- Keep the old traditions and create the new. – This is another point of reflection for new grandparents. You will want to pass on family traditions. But now you have a clean slate to begin new practices!
- You are going to spend some money. – Maybe this is a confession… or perhaps it is accurate. But I thought I would put it in here. I cannot go to a store or search through amazon without finding something for my grands.
- And you are going to need to get in shape. – Now, this is an understatement. I had no idea how exhausting little ones were until I became a grandparent. They have endless energy, and you… you may not at this stage in life. If you are not already in shape, you may want to consider adding some walks into your daily routine, at the very least.
“An hour with your grandchildren can make you feel young again. Anything longer than that, and you start to age quickly.” — Gene Perret
Grand Parent Sayings
Here are a few of the quotes I found on Parade Magazine:
- “Something magical happens when parents turn into grandparents.”
- “Grandparents are there to help the child get into mischief they haven’t thought of yet.”
- “Being a grandparent means you can be as silly you want to be.”
- “When grandparents enter the door, discipline flies out the window.” — Ogden Nash “There are no words to describe the happiness in holding your baby’s baby.”
- “I’m going to be your grandpa! I have the biggest smile. I’ve been waiting to meet you for such a long, long while.” — Billy Crystal.
- “Being grandparents sufficiently removes us from the responsibilities so that we can be friends.” — Allan Frome.
- “Grandparents are like magicians. They can create wonderful memories for their grandchildren out of thin air.”
- “You will never look back on life and think, ‘I’ve spent too much time with my grandchildren.’”
And there are so many more!
A Grandparent’s Love
Another truth is coming at ya….
Your grandchildren can do no wrong. You may even giggle a bit when they do something wrong. (Try not to.) Your love for your grandchild will take you by surprise, redefine love, and shake you to the core.
Your grandbaby will be the cutest in the hospital.
They will be geniuses.
There will be no end to what they can do in life.
In fact, they may have hung the moon itself.
The last bit of advice, if I may, is this.
ENJOY every moment with them. Put down the phone. Set the dishes in the sink and forget them. Let the laundry wait until tomorrow. And soak up every moment with them. They are so worth it.
Oh, and again, congratulations on becoming a grandparent.
“When she smiles, the lines in her face become epic narratives that trace the stories of generations that no book can replace.” — Curtis Tyrone Jones.